Friday, February 10, 2006

Humorous (Yes, Humorous!) Books about Battling Breast Cancer

Of all the amazing women I know who have done battle with breast cancer (my sister, my mother, my friends, my coworkers, my relatives) there is one thing they all have in common - they faced their battle with humor as a weapon.

My sister Heather had to have her fake Billy Bob teeth in before going to chemotherapy, my mother Becky proudly shows off her 5 breast tattoos (used to line up her radiation), my friend Julie sent out, as her Christmas cards, a picture of her, her husband, and their two boys, all proudly donning bald heads. Humor is a MUST when facing the fear, pain, and mystery of breast cancer.

Books that tackle breast cancer are few and far between. No one wants to put "laughter" and "breast cancer" in the same sentence - yet the books on the list below do so and do so with great success. Please think about picking up one of these books for a woman in your life in the midst of her own fight - I think you'll find it will be her most favorite gift.

  1. The Courage Muscle - A Chicken's Guide to Living with Breast Cancer
  2. My One-Night Stand with Cancer: A Memoir
  3. Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy
  4. The Victoria's Secret Catalog Never Stops Coming: And Other Lessons I Learned from Breast Cancer
  5. B.O.O.B.S: A Bunch of Outrageous Breast Cancer Survivors Tell Their Stories of Courage, Hope, and Healing
  6. I'm Alive and the Doctor's Dead
  7. Breast Cancer? Let Me Check My Schedule
  8. Humor After the Tumor
  9. The Feisty Woman's Breast Cancer Book
  10. No Mountain Too High: A Triumph over Breast Cancer : The Story of the Women of Expedition Inspiration
  11. Plant A Geranium In Your Cranium
  12. Breast Cancer Be-Attitudes!
  13. Chicken Soup for the Soul Healthy Living Series: Breast Cancer
  14. Breast Cancer for Dummies
  15. Uplift : Secrets from the Sisterhood of Breast Cancer Survivors
  16. Mammograms and Mastectomies: Facing Them With Humor and Prayer
  17. Complete Idiot's Guide to Living with Breast Cancer
  18. Ice Bound: A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole
  19. Red Devil: To Hell with Cancer and Back
  20. Dreamwalk: A Survivor's Journey Through Breast Cancer
  21. Don't Count Me Out: Surviving Breast Cancer
  22. Bosom Buddies : Lessons and Laughter on Breast Health and Cancer
  23. Breast Cancer Husband : How to Help Your Wife (and Yourself) during Diagnosis, Treatment and Beyond
  24. Various Breast Cancer Support Books

1 comment:

Pat S said...

Shawn,

First I want to thank you for linking my breast cancer survivor blog to yours. I am a firm believer in the use of humor to get through the breast cancer course. I am sorry that your sister was not a survivor, but I am glad that you are carrying on her memory in such a fantastic way. Keep up the good work. It is important for those who are newly diagnosed to be able to know that there is help out there. I am so thankful that you are focusing on those who are low income and might need assistance in getting that mammogram. One of my coworkers is looking at having a biopsy. I so want us to find a cure, so that no more people have to suffer the ravages of this disease, and that brothers don't have to lose their sisters either.

Keep up the good work.

Pat Sitzes